PURPOSE OF THE CHURCH PASTORAL COUNCIL
St Joseph’s Parish Birtley
Purpose of the Church Pastoral Council
Version Approved at Meeting on Sunday 8th October 2006
|1. The Pastoral Council is a consultative
and advisory body that exists to support the Parish Priest.
2. The purpose of the Pastoral Council is to enable all parishioners and all parish organisations to participate in the life of the church.
3. The Pastoral Council will support the Parish Priest in providing spiritual leadership and sound administrative procedures for the parish.
4. Important and specific aims of the Pastoral Council should be:
• To pray that with the grace of God and the guidance of the Holy Spirit that they are witnesses to the presence of Christ in the Parish community;
• To develop a sense of community in the parish;
• To foster growth and maturity and the recognition of the need for change where appropriate; and
• To plan for the future of the Parish (e.g. by developing a statement of its mission, vision and objectives).
5. To this end the Pastoral Council will co-ordinate and promote the activities of the parish and the organisations within the parish in the following key areas:
• Christian Formation
• Liturgy and Worship
• Social and Community Activities
• Property and Maintenance
• Finance and Administration
Membership of the Pastoral
7. The representative of the parish organisations will be nominated by
their respective organisations.
Officers of the Pastoral Council
10. The Pastoral Council will have the following officers: